- Ph. D.,1998 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Accounting
- B.S.M., 1993 National Chiao Tung University, Management Science
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- 2020 August - Present
Head, Dept of Accounting
- 2012 - Present
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Fung Term Professor of Accounting (2017-present)
Chair Professor (2016-present), Professor (2012-2016)
University of Southern California, Arthur Anderson & Co. Alumni Associate Professor (2009-2012, on leave in 2006-2007 and 2012-2014), Associate Professor (2006-2009), Assistant Professor (1999-2006)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Associate Professor
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Lecturer
- "Learning from Peers: Evidence from Disclosure of Consumer Complaints." Journal of Accounting and Economics, forthcoming (with Yiwei Dou, Guoman She and Lynn Wang)
- "Do Depositors Respond to Banks' Social Performance?" The Accounting Review, forthcoming (with Yi-Chun Chen and Lynn Wang)
- Boardroom Gender Diversity Reforms and Institutional Monitoring: Global evidence." Review of Accounting Studies forthcoming (with Larry Fauver, Alvaro Toboada, and Emily Wang)
- "Market Power and Credit Rating Standards: Global Evidence." (2022) Journal of Accounting and Economics, 101474 (with Pepa Kraft, Shiheng Wang and Gwen Yu)
- "Uneven Regulatory Playing field and Bank Transparency Abroad." (2022) Journal of International Business Studies 53, 379-404. (with Tai-Yuan Chen and Yi-Chen)
- “The Effect of Fair Value Accounting on the Performance Evaluation Role of Earnings.” (2020) Journal of Accounting and Economics, V. 70. (2-3), Nov-Dec 2020. (with Mark DeFond, Siqi Li, and Jinshuai Hu)
- “Political connections and voluntary disclosure: Evidence from around the world." (2018) Journal of International Business Studies 49, 272-302 (with Yongtae Kim and Siqi Li)
- "The effect of mandatory CSR disclosure on firm profitability and social externalities: Evidence from China" (2018) Journal of Accounting & Economics (with Yi-Chun Chen and Yongxiang Wang)
- "Board reforms and firm value: Worldwide evidence” (2017) Journal of Financial Economics 125, 120–142 (with Larry Fauver, Xi Li, and Alvaro Taboada)
- "The use of debt covenants worldwide: Institutional determinants and implications on financial reporting." (2016) Contemporary Accounting Research 33, 644-681 (with Hyun Hong and Jieying Zhang.)
- "Post-earnings-announcement drift in global markets: Evidence from an information shock." (2015) The Review of Financial Studies 28, 1242-1283 (with Xi Li and Shiheng Wang)
- "Does mandatory IFRS adoption affect crash risk?" (2015) The Accounting Review 90, 265-299. (with Mark DeFond, Siqui Li and Yinghua Li)
- "The value of political ties versus market credibility: Evidence from corporate scandals in China." (2015) Contemporary Accounting Research 32, 1641-1675 (with TJ Wong and Fang Zhang)
- "The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on IPOs in global capital markets." (2014) The Accounting Review 89, 1365-1397 (with Hyun Hong and Gerald Lobo).
- "Corporate governance in the recent financial crisis: Evidence from financial institutions worldwide." (2012) Journal of Corporate Finance 18, 289-411. (with David Erkens and Pedro Matos).
- "Political considerations in the decision of Chinese SOEs to list in Hong Kong." (2012). Journal of Accounting & Economics 53, 435-449 (with T.J. Wong and Tianyu Zhang).
- "Has the widespread adoption of IFRS reduced US firms' attractiveness to foreign investors?" (2011) Journal of International Accounting Research 11, 27-55 (with Mark DeFond, Xuesong Hu and Siqi Li).
- "Was the Sarbanes-Oxley Act good news for corporate bond holders?" (2011). Accounting Horizons 25, 465-485. (with Mark DeFond, Emre Karaoglu (Emre Carr), and Jieying Zhang).
- "The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on foreign mutual fund ownership: The role of comparability." (2011) . Journal of Accounting & Economics 51, 240-258 (with Mark DeFond, Xuesong Hu, and Siqi Li).
- “Home bias, foreign mutual fund holdings, and the voluntary adoption of International Accounting Standards." (2007). Journal of Accounting Research 45, 41-70 (with Vicentiu Covrig and Mark DeFond).
- "Investor protection and analysts' each flow forecasts around the world." (2007). Review of Accounting Studies 12, 377-419 (with Mark DeFond).
- "Investor protection and the information content of annual earnings announcements: International evidence." (2007). Journal of Accounting & Economics 43, 37-67 (with Mark DeFond and Robert Trezevant).
- "Financial statement effects of adopting International Accounting Standards: The case of Germany." (2007). Review of Accounting Studies 12, 623-657 (with K.R. Subramanyam)
- "Investor protection and corporate governance: Evidence from worldwide CEO turnover." (2004). Journal of Accounting Research 42, 269-312 (with Mark DeFond).
- "An empirical analysis of analysts' cash flow forecasts." (2003). Journal of Accounting & Economics 35, 73-100 (with Mark DeFond).
- "Information and trading risks in global investing: An empirical analysis of research location and Pacific mutual fund performance." (2001). Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting 12, 1-23.
- "Accounting standards and value relevance of earnings: An international analysis" (2000) Journal of Accounting & Economics 30, 401-420.
GRANTS, AWARDS AND HONORS
- Keynote Speaker, Annual conference of China Journal of Accounting Research, 2022.
- Keynote Speaker, HKU-CBI Conference on the Real Effects of Green Bonds and ESG, 2019.
- Keynote Speaker, International Conference on Accounting and Finance, 2018, 2019.
- Keynote Speaker, UQ Business School Accounting and Finance Research Forum, 2013.
- Senior fellow, Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research (ABFER), 2022-present.
- Best Discussant Award, MIT Asia Conference in Accounting, 2015.
- Best Paper Award, European Accounting Association annual meeting, 2008.
- Best Paper Prize, Journal of Accounting & Economics, 2007.
- Finalist, Franklin prize for teaching excellence (MBA required courses), 2017.
- Dean’s Recognition of Excellent Teaching Performance, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2013, 2017.
- Faculty Teaching Award, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2007.
- MBA Golden Apple Teaching Award, University of Southern California, 2006.
- Gamma Sigma Alpha Professor of the Year, University of Southern California, 2003.
- HKUST Institute for Emerging Market Studies Faculty associate. 2013-present.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong Center for Institutions and Governance Research Fellow, 2007-2012.
- Research Grant Council - General Research Fund, Principal Investigator, 2016.
- HKUST IEMS research grant, 2017.
- HKUST research grant, 2015, 2016.
- HKUST initiation grant, 2012.
- Research Grant Council - General Research Fund, Co-Investigation, 2009.
- Research Grant Council - Earmarked Research Grant, Co-Investigator, 2007.
- USC U.S. – China Institute Faculty Research Grant, 2007.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong research grant, Principal Investigator, 2006.
- USC CIBEAR Grants, PRIME Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Dongguan trip faculty observer, 2007; EMBA China trip faculty observer, 2002; PRIME Tokyo trip faculty observer, 2000.
- The Economist, Financial Times, CFO.com, Boardmember.com, American Accounting Association (AAA) press release, Financial Accounting Standards Research Initiative (FASRI)
- Journal of International Business Studies, Editor, 2023-2025
- The Accounting Review, Editor, 2015-2017
- The Accounting Review, Editorial Board, 2013-2015, 2017-present
- Journal of International Business Studies, Editorial Board, 2012-2022
- Journal of International Accounting Research, Editorial Board, 2017-present
SERVICE ACTIVITIES WITHIN HKUST
- Chairperson, University Committee on Faculty Diversity and Early Career Support, 2015-present
- Member, University Senate, 2015-2017.
- Chairperson, School Research Committee, 2017-present.
- Acting department head, Accounting, Spring 2017.
- Chairperson, Departmental Substantiation and Promotion Committee, 2013-2015.
- Chairperson, Departmental Search and Appointment Committee, 2013-2015.
- Chairperson, Departmental Merit Salary Review Committee, 2014-2015.
- Members of various committees at department, school and university levels.